ICT Usage Agreement
Digital Citizenship and Cybersafety at Waiuku College
A message from the Principal:
During your time at Waiuku College you will have access to the internet and a variety of digital technologies. Whilst most of this access will be for learning purposes we require you to understand how you can be effective digital citizens both inside and outside School.
- H ow to use digital technology effectively and safely.
- U nderstanding your rights and responsibilities while using technology.
- G iving you advice and guidance regarding new innovations.
- E nabling you to feel safe while using the internet.
In order to access the internet and wireless networks at Waiuku College, you are required to read and sign this contract. We hope this document will promote discussion within your home regarding what is an effective digital citizen and how you can remain safe and happy while using technology.
Digital Citizenship Contract
All students at Waiuku College have agreed to the following:
When I use ICTs, both at school and at home I have responsibilities and rules to follow. I agree:
- To be a safe user whenever and wherever I use that technology.
- To be responsible whenever and wherever I use technology and support others by being respectful in how I talk to and work with them and never write or participate in online bullying.This includes forwarding messages and supporting others in harmful, inappropriate or hurtful online behaviour.
- To report if I feel unsafe or uncomfortable online or see a friend being unsafe or being made to feel uncomfortable by others.
- To maintain the reputation of Waiuku College and refrain from making inflammatory or rude comments about other students, staff or matters which may have arisen within Waiuku College.
When at school I agree:
- To abide by the rules outlined in this document.
- To keep myself and my friends safe by not giving out personal details including full names, telephone numbers, addresses and images and protecting my password.
- Never to use the internet or any system used to message people, without the express permission of a teacher.
- To use the technology at school for learning, use the equipment properly and not interfere with the work or data of another student.
- Not to bring or download unauthorised programs or files.
- Not to go looking for rude or offensive sites.
- To use an 'online name' and avatar when sharing my work online.
- To remember that the content on the web is someone's property and ask my teacher or a parent/caregiver to help me get permission if I want to use information or pictures.
- To think carefully about what I read on the internet, question if it is from a reliable source and use the information to help me answer any questions. (I should not copy and paste the information as my answer).
- Not to attempt to install programs, games or apps on any school device.
- Not to attempt to edit any system settings.
- Not to use tools or sites that will enable me to bypass systems in place to filter or restrict access.
- To my internet records being monitored.
- I will talk to my teacher or an adult if:
- I need help online.
- I am not sure what I should be doing on the internet or a device.
- I come across sites that are not appropriate.
- Someone writes something I don't like, makes me and my friends feel uncomfortable or asks me to provide information that I know is private.
- I feel that the welfare of students or staff at the Waiuku College is threatened.
When I use any netbook, mobile phone, iPod or other mobile device at school I agree to:
- Use it as only as directed by my teacher.
- Be responsible in my use and not use the device to find, create or send information that might be harmful, inappropriate or hurtful to me or anyone else.
- Be entirely responsible for the security of the device at all times.
- To this end, when using any mobile device as a phone I will:
- Keep my phone on silent during class times and only make or answer calls and messages outside of lesson times - except for specified learning purposes.
- Protect the privacy of others and never post private information about another person using SMS or other messages.
When using any mobile device as a camera I will:
- Only take photos and record sound or video when it is part of a class or lesson.
- Seek permission from individuals involved PRIOR to taking photos, recording sound or videoing them (including teachers).
- Seek written permission from individuals involved PRIOR to publishing or sending photos, recorded sound or video to anyone else or to any online space.
- Be respectful in how I talk to and work with others online and never write or participate in online bullying.
- Seek teacher permission before uploading any content to websites.